Mar 1, 2021

Mimetic Monday



mimetic ~ imitative; of, like or pertaining to mimicry

Happy first day of March!

That’s it. That’s all I got. The above picture is one I took last year of the sun rising at the lakeshore – I haven’t even been doing anything picture worthy lately.

Now that the renovation is pretty much over, there’s not a lot of excitement around here. We’re out of the lockdown – I think we’re in orange now – but we’re still not getting out much. We went to Home Depot last weekend and picked up the two missing door pulls for the cupboard above the microwave . . . which, because of the microwave plug inside of it, is pretty useless.

I’m still really loving all that shiny counter space. The new kitchen layout gives us more space to work with – we can both be doing stuff in the kitchen at the same time without tripping over each other, which is nice.

But the emptying of the bins and the putting stuff away is slow going. I’ve been plugging away at it but there’s just so much stuff! I really can’t figure out how it all fit in the old kitchen in the first place.

When I was filling the bins in the first place I got rid of a lot of stuff – some of it that was still usable got donated, and a lot of it just got chucked. I have two big boxes and one plastic bin of stuff destined to be donated, and yet there’s still at least half a dozen bins still stacked up in the office waiting to be dealt with.

I’ll tell you something truthfully. We may have gained in counter space, but we lost on cupboard space. The lower cabinet beside the stove, despite its tiny opening, is more usable, and a lot of the stuff that used to be in it has been disposed of. But the upper cabinets on either side of the sink, because of their wedge shape, don’t hold nearly as much. And the other upper cupboards aren’t as deep, which really makes a difference.

I’m still trying to keep things organized which means a lot of shuffling stuff around. And I really, really need some kind of a stool so I can reach those upper shelves.

My baking dishes (cake pans, cookie cutters, etc.) ended up taking up a drawer and a half, but it’s all in one place, which is nice. The glassware has been washed and put away, and is going to be moved to a different cupboard this week. One set of my good dishes is in half of the cupboard with the glass doors, but I think the other set will probably end up staying in a bin for now.

Like I say, it’s slow going but at least it’s going. And the stack of empty bins is slowly getting bigger.

No comments: