Jan 11, 2023

Cento Poetry Form



According to my research, the Cento, a type of found poem, originated in the 3rd or 4th century A.D. The name is a Latin word meaning patchwork, and like a patchwork quilt, the poem is made up from lines taken from other poems.

In other words, to create a Cento you take lines and phrases from the poems of other poets, and patchwork them together into a whole new poem. The pieces can be taken solely from one poet, or can be taken from several different poets.

There is no rhyme, unless you’re a glutton for punishment and ferret out lines that rhyme, and the rhythm depends on the lines you’re borrowing. You can use this form to showcase a particular poet, to make a statement, or to create a satire. The fragments used should be no longer than a line and a half, and no shorter than a half-line.

I found this example on Wikipedia, and couldn’t resist sharing it because there’s no way I can pull off a rhyming example myself. This one is by Dave Morice:

I only know she came and went, (Lowell)
Like troutlets in a pool; (Hood)
She was a phantom of delight, (Wordsworth)
And I was like a fool. (Eastman)

No, you do not have to cite the poet on each line, that’s just the way it appeared on Wikipedia. But you should keep track of your sources, giving credit where credit is due. For my first example, I used multiple sources, a line from each of the poems featured on the Writer’s Digest article, 10 Best Love Poems Ever! The second example I used only works from William Wordsworth.


How do I love thee,
when you are old?
Love alters not
whatever a sun will sing,
the sunbeam flaring.
Having looked too long upon the sun,
it will blind you with tears
in age after age, forever.
How softly Eros walked –
this place could be beautiful.


A sight so touching in its majesty
beside the lake, beneath the trees,
the elements of feeling and of thought,
have forfeited their ancient English dower
felt in the blood, and felt along the heart.
My heart leaps up when I behold
travellers in some shady haunt
apparelled in celestial light.
Old, unhappy, far-off things,
surprised by joy.

No comments: