May 1, 2023

Happy May Day!

The month of May is the pleasant time; its face is beautiful; the blackbird sings his full song, the living wood is his holding, the cuckoos are singing and ever singing; there is a welcome before the brightness of the summer.
— Lady Gregory

At last came the golden month of the wild folk-- honey-sweet May, when the birds come back, and the flowers come out, and the air is full of the sunrise scents and songs of the dawning year.
― Samuel Scoville Jr.

The world's favorite season is the spring. All things seem possible in May.
— Edwin Way Teale

To be honest, I was all set to write about the crafts the granddaughter and I did on Friday (it was a PA day), but then I realized it was the first of May. And with all the April showers we’ve been getting lately, things are really getting green outside, so it’s time to celebrate spring!

First we have one of the signs of spring we haven’t seen in a couple of years:



Yes, that’s right, the ducks are back! We haven’t seen a duck in the pool since we got the bigger pool, and I was kind of missing them.

Another returning friend to the back yard was this guy:



I’ve heard the cardinals a few times, and I saw the female when I put a seed bell on the shepherd’s crook in the front garden, but I haven’t seen the male cardinal in a long time. Guess I’d better be more vigilant about putting seed out for the birds.

Also, to my surprise, I spotted this guy:



Not the squirrel, the bunny. I’m not even sure how he got into the backyard. We haven’t seen much of the bunnies in the last few years because of the coyotes and foxes, but I know the coyotes have moved on, I guess the foxes have too. Which is a shame, because I liked seeing them too.

We also have some of these springing up randomly in the lawn:



I’m not sure what they’re called, but my neighbor has a thick row of them along the side of her house and they’ve been steadily migrating to our yard as well. Not that I mind, I think they’re pretty.

And the other day I glanced out the window into the back yard and a flash of yellow caught my attention:



This is one of the two little clumps of miniature daffodils I bought last year and forgot about. I’ll need to remember to plant some crocus in that garden in the fall to join them.

I really wish I’d got the bulbs I bought a couple of weeks ago planted, but then again, with all the rain we’ve been having lately they might have become waterlogged and started to rot.

If it ever stops raining I’ll have to get my vegetable garden planted.

Meanwhile, anybody got blueprints for an ark?

No comments: