Nov 20, 2023

Folded Fabric Star

I’m a glutton for punishment, I tell you what. I was barely home from my adventures in Nottawasaga when I joined a workshop with my home stitchery guild to make a folded fabric Christmas star.

The presenter of this workshop, Susan C., was kind enough to do half the work for us ahead of time – she cut and ironed the fabric strips (four inches by fourteen inches) we’d need. As far as I’m concerned, this is the hardest part of the star, folding the fabric strips in four with the raw edges on the inside and then ironing them (reducing the width to one inch).



The bundle was passed around the table and we each picked two pairs of strips to make our stars. The first step was to fold the strips in half and lay them out in a square, then tuck the raw ends in the fold of the next strip in the square.



Then we were supposed to gently work the folded ends towards the middle to make a square in the center. Of course I was so busy taking pictures I messed up. So my square looked like this:



When it should have looked like this:



So then you take the long strip at the top, and fold it to the right.



Then you flip it over, and fold it down again so that there’s a point.



Next you fold the strip lengthwise, so the point is folded in half. At this point you might want to use a daub of glue, just to hold it in place. And it helps if you have a clip of some kind to keep it from slipping while the glue sets.



Then comes the tricky part. You want to trim the remainder of the strip, and then tuck it under the contrasting strip just below your point. You might want to stick a little daub of glue in there, too.



So far so good, right? Now you need to do the same thing to the other strip at the top.









Pretty simple, isn’t it? Now do the rest of the strips.







And before you know it, you’ll have your very own fabric star



I know my instructions are a little sparse, but if you’re interested in making your own fabric stars, here’s a video to show you how.



No comments: