Sep 10, 2009

Counting Up & Down

Over the past few weeks we’ve looked at some serious and sometimes difficult forms of poetry. This week I offer a change of pace in the form of Counting Poetry. These are fun, ten line poems that rely on a syllable count rather than a rhyming scheme.

First is Count Down. This is a one-stanza poem titled in one word, with exactly ten lines, starting with ten syllables and losing one syllable with each line as it descends.


CRAZY

My cats are driving me crazy today!
I don’t know what’s the matter with them.
Could be a change in the weather
or maybe they just want to
keep me guessing about
what they’re going to
do next to keep
me on my
tippy
toes.


We also have Count Up. This titled form also consists of exactly ten lines, the first line having one syllable, each succeeding line adding a syllable, with a total count of fifty-five syllables (10 Lines).


COUNTING

I
count one
and next two,
then three and four.
The poem is half done
when we reach five, then six.
Next in line we have seven
and right on seven's heels is eight
while close behind is magical nine
and this poem will come to an end with ten.


I think the real point of the counting poems are to have fun with your poetry. Give it a try!

2 comments:

Dolly said...

A little something for you on my blog
http://lostwanderer5.blogspot.com/2009/09/blogman.html

Jamie D. said...

Those poems are fun, C! I'd try it...but it sounds suspiciously like math... ;-)