Feb 20, 2012

Mandorla Monday

mandorla ~ oval panel containing a work of art; elliptical halo around holy person

If you live in Canada or the U.S., then you probably got to sleep in today because it’s a holiday. In the U.S. it was decided that February being such a dismal month, a holiday weekend was needed. And what better excuse reason for a holiday than to celebrate the lives of presidents both past and present, and so President’s Day was born. Not to be out done, Canada decided it needed a holiday in February too, however Prime Minister’s Day just didn’t have the same ring to it, so they decided to celebrate families instead, and so Family Day (which has since been changed to Heritage Day) was born. So happy holiday, whichever one you get to celebrate. And for the rest of the world . . . sorry, sucks to be you. Maybe you should start up petitions or something – more holidays for all!

In celebration of Family Day, my sisters came to visit. Okay, they didn’t really come to celebrate Family Day, one of them had some time to kill before she went to join her husband for a holiday in New Zealand, and the other one had a couple of days off, so they decided to come torment me for the weekend. :-) I got back at them by making them watch Star Trek with me Saturday night, but then they got the last laugh by making me go to Church with them Sunday morning. *sigh*

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

I was only late with one post last week, and that was the chapter for Water. I got about halfway through it and then had to re-think it. This is one of the hazards of being a pantser rather than a plotter – sometimes your story takes an unexpected turn. Normally this isn’t a problem. You can always go back and change the pertinent parts of your story so it will make sense. Unfortunately, when you’re writing a serial you have to pretty much just keep going, so basically all you can do is make notes for when you get around to revisions.

I didn’t get much reading done last week, although I have been downloading some free books onto my Kindle. I love it when authors offer up their books or short stories for free to jack up their stats on Amazon. :-)

One of the free books I read through was a recipe book for breakfast tacos. I wouldn’t have thought you could find enough recipes for tacos, breakfast or not, to fill a cook book, so I admit I was curious. There were recipes for everything from making your own flour tortillas, to salsa, to Mexican sausage; there were descriptions of breakfast tacos available from a variety of restaurants; but nowhere was there a recipe for putting together the tacos themselves.

What’s Up This Week:
The schedule is up on the side bar, so I’m just giving the highlights here.

Tuesday On Random Thoughts I’m starting a series on Prophets and Prophesies. You know, just to prepare for the end of the world on December 21. ;-) On Random Writings I’ll be continuing to Share the Love.

Wednesday (on Random Writings) Aw, Jessica’s such a nice person, helping that kid. Hope it doesn’t cause more harm than good. And on Random Thoughts there’ll be another hump day hunk for your viewing pleasure.

Thursday In chapter six of Water (on Random Thoughts) Ravi and his friends are going to learn a little more about why the compound is being moved.

Friday I think it’s time for a new poetry form on Random Writings, I just don’t know which one yet. On Random Thoughts it’s Flash Me Friday and I’ll be doing another picture prompt.

No comments: