Apr 28, 2011

Virelai

The virelai is a medieval French verse form that was often used in poetry and music in the late 13th to 15th centuries. It’s one of the three fixed forms of that age, the others being the rondeau and the ballade. The term “virelai” probably originated as a nonsense refrain that later came to designate the form.

By the mid-15th century the virelai became purely a poetic form. Many examples of the form exist that were not intended to be set to music. By the end of the 15th century, the form had changed dramatically to include only one stanza. The virelai has been occasionally revived by modern poets.

Using the original structure, the virelai has nine lines per stanza with at least three stanzas. It is both syllabic and rhyming. The end rhyme of each stanza recurs as the first rhyme of the following stanza.

Schematic:
xxxxa
xxxxa,
xb
xxxxa
xxxxa
xb
xxxxa
xxxxa
xb

xxxxb
xxxxb
xc
etc.



The Vampire’s Kiss

Red moon is waning
Light mist is raining
This night
Silence campaigning
But not constraining
Despite
Courage that’s draining
Heartbeat that’s straining
For flight

Though poised now for flight
I’ve yearned for this night
This tryst
I calm, my fear slight
My shiver of fright
Dismissed
I wait for your bite
Our passion ignite
One kiss

You come with the mist
Breath leaves in a hiss
Blood heat
I see the abyss
It’s come down to this
Conceit
I cannot resist
The vampire’s kiss
So sweet.

2 comments:

Tara Tyler said...

wanted to tell you i used your form from today for my last "formed" poem =)
I like yours - and mine also involves some blood sucking (mwah ha ha!)

C R Ward said...

I'll be sure to check yours out! :-)