Feb 17, 2014

Marivaudage Monday

marivaudage ~ preciosity in literary style or expression

Happy Family Day! Or President's Day! Or whatever holiday your government says it is!

You know, writing at home as I do I find long weekends a bit of a rip off. To others it's a time to relax and enjoy their time off, but to me it's just . . . Monday. I suppose I could just relax and enjoy myself too, but that just seems wrong somehow. And besides, I slack off enough during the week, just by being at home. LOL

Last week was kind of a mixed bag for me. It was a mixture of really productive days and really . . . not.

I got the kid's afghan done to where I thought all I had left was the border. And I actually started the border before I realized it was wider than it was long - and it's not the kind of pattern you can just turn the other way - so I'm adding another set of stripes.

The chapter for Earth was late, due to excessive tiredness and lack of knowing what happens next, but I did get it up there eventually. I'm really hoping to get an earlier start on this week's chapter. I've actually laid the ground work for a couple of incidents that are going to be taking place further on in the story, which should make it easier.

To my surprise, I actually managed to get my Valentine's story done and posted. It took a bit of an unexpected turn and was longer than I intended, but over all I'm happy with it. If you missed it, you can read it HERE.

Those of you who are my Facebook friends will have seen the Valentine's Day cookies I made my daughter. This is a tradition that started back when she was in kindergarten and has survived to this day. On the one hand, family traditions are a wonderful thing, but on the other hand, those cookies are a pain in the butt to make. They're raspberry filled oatmeal cookies - crisp oatmeal cookies with raspberry jam sealed up inside.

I did not get as much reading done at my doctor's appointment as I'd hoped to. The wait time was pretty short, relatively speaking. But I made up for it on the weekend when I had to take the kid to the walk-in clinic for a misdiagnosis. The over-worked doctor said it was a rare muscle disease - I say it was gall bladder. Only time will tell who was right.

As you know, normally my weeks start on a high note and go down hill from there, but this time my week ended on a high note. I finally finished the rewrites on An Elemental Water. I'm not quite sure how it happened but Saturday I found myself really enjoying the story again and before I knew what was happening, I'd made the last mark on the hard copy.

Sunday I spent the morning making the last of the changes to the electronic version and then I did a stupid thing. I have a separate document for Nereida's journal. There's an entry at the beginning of each chapter, but I also have the entries in chronological order in its own document. It seemed like a good idea at the time, to keep track of them or something, but yesterday I read them over to see if I could make a stand alone story out them to go with Water, and while I was reading them I made a few changes to improve them but - and here's the stupid thing part - I did not keep track of which journal entries were changed. So now I'll have to do the copy/paste thing for the whole document.

Maybe it was my subconscious at work, showing me that I'm not quite ready to let this one go yet. :-)

This month's blog chain from Absolute Write looked like too much fun to pass up, and judging by the speed people are putting their posts up, my turn will likely come up this week. Our assignment is to have one of our characters write about us. Sounds like a good time to me!

No comments: