Apr 11, 2014

What I'm Reading




So . . . the afghan I was working on last week? I finished it on Monday, and because it was a rainy day, I christened it by curling up under it and reading. It turned out larger than I intended because I used a granny stitch to join the squares and that added several inches. For those who are curious, here's what the finished afghan looks like:



Electronic Books

You're not going to believe this, but I lost the books I was reading on George (my Kindle), so there was no progress on The Cobweb Bride by Vera Nazarian, or Mr. Love by Sally Mason, or Dark Love by Claudy Conn.

Instead I read an erotic short story that I can't remember the name of, and then started Darlings of Paranormal Romance, which is an anthology I downloaded for free from Amazon. It's still for free if you want to check it out. I've read the first three stories, which seem to be getting progressively longer. The first one was part ghost story/part time travel, and I quite enjoyed it. The second took place in Atlantis, and mostly in the waters below Atlantis (it involved mer-people) and I have to admit I did not enjoy it as much. Okay, I have to be honest here, it was pretty bad. The third one was a full novel and I may have rushed through it a bit just to see what happens at the end. What happens is continued in the next books by this author, which you will have to buy. Next up is a werewolf story, and I'll be crossing my fingers that it's well done.

Tree Books

Part way through reading on George, his battery died. Which is another reason a person needs both e-books and tree books - I've never heard of a battery dying on a tree book. I was kind of pinned in place by a cat, but still in a reading mood, so I picked up one of the books that was sitting on the table beside my recliner. This one was Dreamwalker, by Kathleen Dante. It's a paranormal romance - he can enter people's dreams and influence them, and she's a shapeshifter - and all I can say is it's a good thing it has lots of natural breaks in it because it's very hard to put down!

I didn't get back to Hunting the Corrigan's Blood by Holly Lisle. It keeps moving around. Or maybe I keep moving it so I don't lose it. At any rate, it's probably going to be on the back burner now until I finish Dreamwalker.

Re-Reads

I'm about a third of the way through Sword and Sorceress IV. This is what I like about an anthology as opposed to a novel. You can get just as caught up in a story, but when you come up for air a whole day hasn't passed. :-)

2 comments:

Jamie DeBree said...

Hey, your afghan turned out great! Hooray for warmth to curl up under, eh? I bet the cats like it too...

How exactly do you not notice that your kindle battery is nearly drained? Amateur. LOL

C R Ward said...

Thanks Jamie! I think the cream was a good choice. :-)

And honestly, I just never think to check the battery in my kindle. Which is probably why it dies just when I get to the good part of a book. ;-)