NUMEROLOGY, DIVINATION BY NUMBERS
Pythagoras and other philosophers of his time believed that because mathematical concepts were more "practical" (easier to regulate and classify) than physical ones, they had greater actuality.
St. Augustine of Hippo (A.D. 354–430) wrote "Numbers are the Universal language offered by the deity to humans as confirmation of the truth." Similar to Pythagoras, he too believed that everything had numerical relationships and it was up to the mind to seek and investigate the secrets of these relationships or have them revealed by divine grace.
In 325 A.D Numerology had not found favor with the Christian authority of the day and was assigned to the field of unapproved beliefs along with astrology and other forms of divination and "magic". Despite this religious purging, the spiritual significance assigned to the "sacred" numbers had not disappeared.
Today, numerology is often associated with the occult, alongside astrology and similar divinatory arts.
To discover your personality traits through the power of numbers, write out your name in full and below each letter write the corresponding number from the chart below. Add all the numbers. If you get a two digit number, add the two numbers together and again if necessary to get a single digit.
1. Signifies drive and action. It stands for creative activity, boldness, vigour and courage. Persons with this number are likely to plunge ahead in response to a challenge, ignoring possible difficulties. They must be on guard against over-confidence and pride, but they can succeed in positions of leadership.
2. Number of balance, good judgment and quiet contemplation. Persons with this number tend to be warm, but take an intellectual approach to life. They are able to see both sides of an issue, tactful, good judges or peacemakers. Weaknesses include a reluctance to ge involved, and timidity.
3. This is the number of self-expression and the artistic temperament, of intuition and refinement. Persons with this name number should do well as singers, artists, poets, or actors, or in other fields where the ability to empathize is important. These people excel in the limelight and centre stage, but tend to be impatient of details, unwilling to take advice or make long term plans.
4. Persons with this number can persevere at a hard job through all difficulties until they're successful. They have strong scientific and mechanical ability, skilled in organization. However, they lack flash and may be hurt by this. They can be penalized by their willingness to take the hard work others shun.
5. People with this number are quite versatile, playing a number of roles or holding a variety of positions. Independent of thought, willing to try new things. Charming and changeable. May end as jacks-of-all-trades and masters of none.
6. Persons with this number are thoughtful, warm and popular. They have happy marriages, and long-lasting friendships. They must live up to their impression of trustworthiness to be successful in their careers. They must guard against making radical departures in business.
7. A number associated with greatness, renowned mystics, philosophers, composers and authors. These people tend to make few friends but to keep those friends for a lifetime. They tend to be gloomy and idealistic which often leads to impractical actions.
8. The number of power and determination, a drive to achieve success in spite of all odds. Tend to have great executive ability, set high goals for themselves and fight to achieve them. Hazards to watch out for include restlessness, lack of tact and an inability to be happy no matter what success is achieved.
9. A number for large-minded people. Persons with this number tend to seek out careers that combine busy activity with idealism. They have a humanitarian approach that gives them influence with others. Often help solve problems. They must avoid the temptation to domineer weaker personalities.
Name numbers can be changed by changing your name or the way it is spelled.
A long time ago I worked with a woman who had the spelling of her name legally changed because it gave her a better number, numerologically speaking. This may seem a little extreme, but a surprising number of people believe in the power of numbers.
Using a numerical birth date, add the numbers as for your name (ie. September 12, 1960 = 9+1+2+1+9+6+0 =2 +8 = 1+0 =1)
1. A born leader. Has strong drive and maintains independence of thought and action. Can achieve great things through originality and creative thought. A strong tendency to go it alone. Must guard against egotism and bullheadedness.
2. Naturally helpful and cooperative, willing to get along with others and ready to compromise. Natural arbitrator. Has a tendency to weakness.
3. A mercurial temperament. Reacts quickly, quick to anger but quick to forget. Relies strongly on intuition, sometimes letting it overrule common sense. Quite popular socially, but negligent of success.
4. Honesty and integrity to the point of stuffiness. Does honest work and expects justice in return. Highly organized, centering on responsibility and discipline, willing to do necessary but unglamorous work. Often easy marks for the unscrupulous.
5. Enthusiastic and curious. Ready to accept new ideas and explore the potentials. Can be great travellers. Somewhat unreliable.
6. Stable and trustworthy. Guided by deep inner convictions. Rarely led into questionable activities. Tend to lose opportunities because of doubts about unconventional propositions. Broad-minded, understanding and sympathetic.
7. An understanding nature. Tend to have great periods of thoughtfulness. A tendency to over-analysis, thought instead of action. Conservative. The intellectual approach to human problems often cause difficulties.
8. Highly developed sense of organization, a great degree of steadiness, strong feeling of discipline. Tend to make big plans. Has a great regard for worldly success, and a drive to achieve wealth and power.
9. A magnetic, warm personality. Usually surrounded by friends. Enormously popular, providing an opportunity for great humanitarian achievement. Tendency toward overindulgence.