Jul 8, 2010

Hexaduad

The Hexaduad is a verse form comprised of one stanza of six rhyming couplets or twelve lines. There is some dispute as to its origins. While it’s widely believed to be an Old English form, there is no history or example of the original form. Counting syllables was not typical of Old English poetry and it is suspected that the Hexaduad is a fairly recent invention.

The structure is fairly simple:
1st couplet has 2 syllables per line
2nd couplet has 6 syllables per line
3rd couplet has 8 syllables per line
4th couplet has 4 syllables per line
5th couplet has 6 syllables per line
6th couplet has 4 syllables per line
the rhyme scheme is aa bb cc dd ee ff

Schematic:
xa
xa
xxxxxb
xxxxxb
xxxxxxxc
xxxxxxxc
xxxd
xxxd
xxxxxe
xxxxxe
xxxf
xxxf

I highly recommend this form for anyone who wants to ease into a rhyming/syllabic poetry form. I think what makes this one fairly easy is the mono-rhyme couplets. I also think (as you will see by my example) I’ve been reading too much erotica lately. ;-)



CAUGHT

I yearn
I burn
For what, I cannot say
I feel I am the prey
Of unasked for dark desires
that consume me with their fires
The day’s too long
The ache too strong
I wait for things unseen
That happened in a dream
At last, the night
My dreams take flight

No comments: