Feb 2, 2015

Morcellate Monday

morcellate ~ to divide into small portions

Although it might not have felt like it at the time - I started out the week being sick and ran into a couple of days where I was suffering from extreme tiredness - last week was a pretty good one. I got some writing in, I got some editing in, I even got some crocheting in. When all was said and done, I was left with a sense of accomplishment for the week.

One of the things I finished was a short story I'm going to submit to the Toronto Star Short Story Contest. It's a slice of life kind of thing, and quite frankly it isn't my usual fare, but it seemed just right for the contest. The contest is an annual thing. Stories have to be sent in by snail mail and every year I seem to remember after it's too late to get my story in. This will be the first year in ages that I have one ready in time so wish me luck.

Another thing I finished was the first draft of my on-line serial Earth. This has never happened with one of my serials before - having it done so far in advance. Normally the last installment is written the night before it's posted. By my calculations I have enough installments to keep the serial going until the end of March, which is a good thing because it gives me lots of time to re-think the ending, which turned out kind of cheesey. :-)

Anyone out there believe in ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night? Then pull up a chair, I have a story to tell you.

Canada Post occasionally puts out a series of special addition stamps and late in the fall they put out a series called Haunted Canada. I just happen to have a friend who collects stamps and much to my delight I was able to pick up a set for her. I thought it was even more appropriate 'cause one of her alter-egos writes horror.

Why I didn't send them right away I'll never know, but they sat there on my desk for ages until I figured I'd stick them in her Christmas card. Only when I went to get them, they'd disappeared. Vanished. Gone.

You have no idea the lengths I went to searching my office, but they were nowhere to be seen. I figured they'd appear as soon as I sent her Christmas card, and then her birthday card, but they haven't shown up yet.

After Christmas it was time to set up my new day planner, which I get from my husband. So I took the old one out of its cover and tossed it, and left the cover on my desk. He brought the new insert home but the cover had disappeared. Could not find it anywhere. So he brought me a new cover a couple of days later and meanwhile the insert disappeared. I kid you not, it is nowhere to be found in my office.

And then, just last week, I almost caught the ghost in the act. I went into my office to check on something and I was just in time to hear something slide down behind the bookcase. One of the three, six foot high bookcases. And just so you know, I had a witness this time - one of the cats heard it too 'cause he stopped washing himself and was staring at the bookcase too.

And the worst part is, I have no idea what could have fallen behind there. Most of the things on top of the bookcases are too big to fit behind them and the pictures/paintings I have are on the other end - and they're still there.

Just a couple of days ago, the hubby was also a witness to these ghostly goings on. He, too, heard the distinct sound of something sliding down behind the six foot high bookcase closest to the window. The only thing on top of that bookcase is a large clay fairy - no pictures or papers or books, nothing that could slide down.

So . . . anyone know a good exorcist?

1 comment:

RamblingWords said...

Carol, first things first. I wish you much luck with the short story contest.

Second, I think you just need to talk to your ghost. Just tell it that you would appreciate it not taking your things. See if you can negotiate a deal with it about leaving it little treasures so that you can get it to not swipe your belongings.

I give the wee beings who inhabit my house spirits, they really like bourbon, to keep them from picking on the little dog. They also tend to get into other mischief too unless appeased with a bit of alcohol. Unless I keep them happy they can be downright ornery.

Good luck!