Mar 17, 2014

Murdrum Monday

murdrum ~ killing of a human being in a secret manner

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!



Are you wearing green today? I most certainly am. :-)

St. Paddy's Day has always been one of my favourite holidays. Maybe it has something to do with all that green after the bleakness of winter. To help celebrate, I've posted a short story I wrote a while back about a leprechaun. You can find it HERE.

It was a pretty mediocre week last week, but it took a real nose dive towards the end. My mood just tanked, and all I wanted to do was nap.

I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the weather - it's been up and down like a yo-yo. We had one absolutely gorgeous day where I didn't even put a coat on to take the recycling out, and the next day the temperature had dropped, the wind picked up, and it was snowing like crazy. Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the restraints. ;-)

I'm more determined than ever to find a place away from home to write a couple of times a week, so I did a little scouting around. One place I overlooked previously was our local mall . . . or what's left of it.

Target took over Zellers, which was one of the anchor stores, and opted to close it down. Not only did we lose a great department store, we lost the only place left to eat in the mall (no, I do not count the "ready-to-go" counter in the grocery store at the other end of the mall as a place to eat). Even the coffee shop is no longer there. Which makes me wonder why they have so many wonderful little seating areas scattered throughout the mall.

There are comfy chairs grouped around coffee tables, as well as tables with the chairs attached to them like you'd find in a food court. Lots of seating to choose from. It's much quieter than say, McDonalds, because let's face it, it's a small mall and there's a lot of empty store fronts. There are nice, clean washrooms, although I'd have to bring a thermos of tea and a lunch if I was staying for any length of time.

It's something to consider. The bonus when the weather becomes hot and sticky in the summer will be that it's fully air conditioned too.

But it was the weekend that has me believing that March just isn't my month. First there was the baby blanket I've been knitting. It's about sixteen inches in length, and the pattern is off by extra stitches. Again. So . . . the baby it was for will be getting a quilt instead.

Yesterday I got all domestic and started a batch of shamrock cookies, and couldn't find my cookie cutter. Then I decided to do some vacuuming and the hose on the vacuum cleaner fell off. And THEN, I'd forgotten to take the ham we were having for supper out of the freezer, so I tried microwaving it for about 15-20 minutes first. The casserole dish it was in was piping hot and it was well done on the top, but I still couldn't get the carving fork through it because it was still frozen inside.

Definitely not one of my better weeks. This week can only be better, right? *knock wood*

Only three days left until spring!

No comments: