Sep 12, 2014

What I'm Reading




Anybody out there use Goodreads?

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, in a nutshell Goodreads is sort of a reading/book lovers community. It's free to join, and once you set up an account you can use it to keep track of the books you've read and give reviews of them. You can even join in discussion forums for your favourite genres/authors.

Anywho, I've been a member for a couple of years now and although I started out remembering to list the books I've been reading on there at the beginning of the year I kind of fell off the wagon. Then my backlog got so big I figured, what's the point, and decided I'd just start fresh next year.

However, as an author myself, I know the importance of reviews, so in fairness to the books I've read and enjoyed I think it would behoove me to go back and start closing up the gap in my list. If I do a few every day, it shouldn't take me too, too long to catch up. And the nice thing about Goodreads is you can backdate your entries to when you actually finished a book, not making it seem like you finished twenty-seven books all at once. :-)

Electronic Books

No electronic reading to speak of, but I did download a few more free ones offered by Amazon through Pixel of Ink. I did have a wait in a doctor's office last week (which is where I usually get some electronic reading done) but I worked on some crocheting instead. Poor, neglected George. I'll have to see what I can do about the sorry state of my electronic reading this week.

Tree Books

No progress to report on Hunting the Corrigan's Blood by Holly Lisle. Nor was there progress made on Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen.

However, I did finish Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was Neil Gaiman at his best. If you enjoyed Coraline and Neverwhere, you'll love this one. I don't know what else to say, other than I was sorry when it ended. It was one of those tales that you wish could go on forever.

Re-Reads

I am about three-quarters of the way through Swords Against Darkness IV, edited by Andrew J. Offutt. Even more than the Sword and Sorceress series, this book brings home to me why I love the genre so much. I'm just about finished the longest story in the book, The Fane of the Grey Rose, by Charles de Lint who, as you know, is one of my all time favourite authors, and who went on to turn the story into a full-length novel, The Harp of the Grey Rose.

I also had the need/urge for some comfort reading - you ever have the urge to re-read an old favourite, just because it makes you feel good? In any case, my go-to book for comfort reading is The Wood Wife, by Terri Windling. It's urban fantasy, mystery, romance, and magic, all rolled into one. How could it not be one of my favourite books? I'm only about a third of the way through it because I'm only reading a little bit of it a day, just to make it last. :-)

So what are you reading these days?

No comments: