Jun 20, 2014

What I'm Reading




I appear to be slowing down with the reading. At the very least I'm able to control my reading impulses. ;-)

Electronic Books

I've been more or less single-minded about my electronic reading, which means one book at a time. Therefore, there was no progress on The Cobweb Bride by Vera Nazarian, Mr. Love by Sally Mason, or Dark Love by Claudy Conn. I'm still leaving these ones listed because I will finish them. Eventually.

According to my Kindle, I'm about 71% of the way through Do Me, Do My Roots, by Eileen Rendahl. I'm actually enjoying this, although it seems to be more of a slice of life than anything else. All three of the sisters have been dating, with varying degrees of success, and I suspect I know how it's going to end but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Tree Books

I still haven't gotten back to Hunting the Corrigan's Blood by Holly Lisle. One of these days . . .

However, when I was at my daughter's babysitting her dog last week I couldn't help but notice a Charles de Lint book sitting on her bookcase, and it was one of the few I haven't read yet. It's called The Blue Girl and appears to be one of his young adult urban fantasies. I've only read a couple of pages of it so far, but I like what little I've read. Of course it's Charles de Lint so was there any doubt?

Re-Reads

I read another few stories from Sword and Sorceress V, and I've only got a few more stories to go. Will I finish it this week? Who knows . . .

And unfortunately, I've finished Memory and Dream by Charles de Lint. I say unfortunately because it's done now. This is one of those books that's so vividly written that it draws you right in so you're not just reading it, you're participating in the story.

It centers around the life of Isabelle Copley, whose dreams appear to come true as she's invited to study under the master artist Vincent Rushkin. He helps her hone her skills and shares with her the magic that allows her to bring her paintings truly to life. But there's a dark side to Rushkin that Isabelle copes with in the way she deals with all of the bad things in her life - she reinvents her reality.

Of course there's far more to the story than that, but you'll have to read it yourself to find out. ;-)

No comments: