Jun 6, 2014

What I'm Reading




I'm not sure where it came from, but apparently I found my reading mojo last week. In fact, there were a couple of times when I was reading when I should have been doing other things. ;-)

Electronic Books

I got over feeling guilty about the number of electronic books I have on the go. I did indeed add a ride on the stationary bike to my daily routine, and despite the fact the bike is in the music room, I like to read while I ride (the hubby usually has the music blaring when he rides). While it's easy to flip between tree books when reading, I find it's better with the electronic ones to just pick one and read it until it's done. So that's what I'm doing.

Therefore, there was no progress on The Cobweb Bride by Vera Nazarian, Mr. Love by Sally Mason, or Dark Love by Claudy Conn. I'm leaving these ones listed because they're next on my list and I don't want to forget about them, although it's been so long since I cracked any of them open that I may have to start them all from the beginning.

The Darlings of Paranormal Romance anthology is a collection of 12 novels and novellas. I'm about to start number 11 - the end is in sight. :-)

The first half of the collection was adult novels, the second half is young adult. I don't general read a lot of young adult, although I do indulge occasionally. I have to say that so far, with the exception Tuesday's Child, by Dale Mayer (that I mentioned last week) the young adult offerings have been better reads than the adult. Although if I have any complaint, it's that of the three YA books I've read so far, two have the story continued in the next book and the final two both have a Part I beside the title.

Last week I polished off Zombified, by Lyra McKen, which appears to be available only as part of the Darlings of Paranormal Romance anthology. It's an interesting twist on the zombie scenario with the story being told to us by 17-year-old Cassie as she slowly turns into one of the walking dead.

Next was Crush, by Chrissy Peebles. To be honest, it reads a lot like Twilight fan fiction, but the story held my attention right to the cliff-hanger ending.

And finally I read Vampire in Denial, by Dale Mayer. I really enjoyed this tale of a young vampire, who thinks she's some kind of a throwback, as she tries to rescue one of her human friends who was kidnapped to become part of a blood farm. The only disappointing part was the abrupt ending so that you're forced to buy the next book if you want to continue the story.

Tree Books

I still haven't gotten back to Hunting the Corrigan's Blood by Holly Lisle, and I probably won't until I finish at least one of the other tree books I have on the go.

Re-Reads

I read another couple stories from Sword and Sorceress V. Progress is still slow, but also still steady.

And my interest in Memory and Dream by Charles de Lint, was suddenly renewed. I went on a bit of a reading binge and went from just the first couple of chapters to well past the halfway mark. Part of it is the fact I really do like this book, but the other part is I want to finish it so I can lend it to a friend who might find it interesting. ;-

2 comments:

Dolly said...

I love it how you call them "Tree Books" :-)

I find it annoying to switch between e-books as well. It's so much more fun with paper books.

It is annoying when stories have abrupt endings. I think it's much better when an author is capable of providing some kind of ending for the first book, even if it's not the overall series ending.

C R Ward said...

I really hate cliff hangers. I know I'm guilty of it myself, but at least mine wasn't as abrupt as the ones in the anthology. These ones pretty much cut off mid-action.