Aug 20, 2014

On Flicking Your Bic and The Most Dangerous Time of the Year . . .

So . . . it's that time of year again. If you're a parent it's the most wonderful time of the year:



But even if you're not a parent you can still take advantage of all the wonderful bargains of office supplies school supplies going on right now.

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know I have a bit of an office supply addiction:



Just so you know, that's just the tip of the iceberg. That I also have drawers full of paper, small notebooks, pencils, pens, and let's not forget the mecca of office supplies . . . stick notes. :-)

This is the time of year I avoid office supply stores, like Staples, like the plague. As well as dollar stores and certain sections of department stores. Walmart has been particularly dangerous with its ten cent packages of paper and exercise books. The last time I saw a sale like that I bought enough lined paper to see my daughter through high school and university, and I just discovered a couple of unopened packages of that paper in an upstairs closet a couple of days ago.

So while it may be the most wonderful time of the year, it's also the most dangerous time of year for people who have an office supply addiction, like me.

Now, you're probably wondering what that has to do with "flicking your bic." Well, I'll tell you.

One of the commercials I've been seeing a lot lately is for Bic pens. Papermate has been running them too, but the Bic ones stick in my head because of the catchphrase "flick my Bic" which actually has nothing to do with pens. I'd forgotten the phrase actually referred to Bic lighters.

And the really ironic part is, I don't even like Bic pens. A long time ago I bought a bulk supply of them from a discount store, and by the time I got around to using them most of them had dried up. So the bargain wasn't such a bargain after all. But the catch phrase sticks in my head anyway and makes me want to go buy some pens. Just not Bics. :-)

No comments: