Nov 27, 2008

Nano, Day 27

I’m driving myself crazy.

Yesterday I had a really hard time buckling down to the writing. Maybe it was my mood, maybe it was the weather, maybe it was just the cosmic alignment, I don’t know. All I know is I couldn’t seem to concentrate.

I’d plug away for awhile and then check my progress and be appalled at how little I’d done. Then I’d go back and read some of what I’d written and think “Ew, how could I ever write such drivel?” *sigh*

Then I’d plug away some more and thought I was finally making progress, but when I checked at about 1 a.m. I was shocked to see that I hadn’t even passed the 1,000 mark for the day. Finally I skipped ahead to the scene where my female main character’s ship is dead in space and the male main character has to rescue her. It started out as just a filler, but now it’s become important ‘cause it’s given them both time apart to get their priorities straight. Well, his priorities anyway. She still has issues.

In the peaks of my creativity I write entire scenes, in the lulls I try and go back and fill out the stuff that comes in between. Actually, the lulls are sometimes caused by trying to backfill the holes in the story.

Some of what I was reading tonight was pretty good, a lot of it wasn’t. But I still like the story and I can almost say I’m looking forward to editing it into something readable.

No comments: