Feb 17, 2009

Deja Vu All Over Again

I haven’t been getting much writing done, but I’ve been thinking about writing a lot. That should count for something, shouldn’t it?

Sometimes, when I get into these funks where it’s a struggle to even update my blogs, I find that if I stop trying so hard the writing comes easier. So, I took the weekend off. I crocheted a bunch of squares for the afghan I’m making for the daughter and her fiancé, watched a few episodes of Gilmore Girls with the daughter, and read a couple of interesting books.

I think what made these books all the more interesting is that they were very well written and they were well outside my normal reading sphere. I finished the last one yesterday and I haven’t picked up another book yet. Which means, my friends, that I’m getting ready to write.

Today an idea invaded my brain and I spent the day going over it in my mind. It hasn’t taken possession of me like the one that hit before NaNo, but it’s still pretty strong. AND it’s another damn space idea - what is up with these space ideas?

So far it’s still undergoing changes as I mull it over (and over and over), which means it’s not ready yet. Once I get to the stage where I go over it and it doesn’t change, then it’s ready to write down. And hopefully it will pour out of me the way the last one did.

I think I mentioned a while back (maybe quite a while back) that while cleaning out the closet in the spare bedroom I came across my first book. Yes, it was a space novel, but it wasn’t a romance. Well, yeah, the heros competed for the girl (whom I believe ends up with the turn-coat son of the bad guy), but romance played a very minor part.

The romance I saved for “out-takes”. These were scenes where the two heros went off on an adventure alone and ended up falling in love with a girl. There were several of these stories and it might be worth it to brush them off and polish them up some day. After all, I’ve already created the universe they live in, might as well make use of it.

The reason I’ve brought this up is because my newest space idea could take place in that universe as well. At one point the MMC and FMC seek sanctuary and the flagship would make the perfect place. It has the medical facility I need, plus a big landing bay, and the diplomats that are required to settle the dispute between the Evil Prince and the MMC.

I just hope it doesn’t turn out as convoluted as the NaNo novel did.

No comments: