Apr 27, 2009

What Happened?

The weather man promised me a nice weekend. I want to know what happened to it? Yes, it was much warmer, but it was pretty grey for the most part, with lots of rain late Saturday. Nice means sunny, not just warm. I don’t care about the warm, I want the sun!

Okay, I’m finished ranting. Well, about the weather anyway. I have more rants on my every day blog. Guess I’m just in one of those moods.

I hope everyone else’s weekend was better than mine. Saturday I woke up tired and I still had the headache I went to bed with the night before. It was one of those grey days that hurts my eyes and the headache only got worse. I finally took a couple of T2s (Tylenol with codeine) and had a nap. I felt better afterwards, but I was annoyed because I missed the first ten minutes of Smallville so I had no idea what was going on when I tuned in.

Sunday (which was also grey) wasn’t much better, and I was in a real grumpy mood. I have no idea why. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I didn’t get any writing done, not even my poems for PAD, but I can’t blame anyone but myself for that. I had the time, I just didn’t have the sit down and do it.

One of the more constructive things I did this weekend was take a good, hard look at the amount of time I spend playing games. Saturday night I started playing games on the lap top and couldn’t believe it when I came up for air and it was 3:45 a.m. And they’re not even interesting games, like World of Warcraft or Runescape. These are mindless games that serve no purpose whatsoever, except to waste time.

So no more games. I’m quitting cold turkey. Even Spider Solitaire and Mahjong. Well, maybe not Spider Solitaire. Sometimes I’ll play that when I’m trying to work out a plot problem.

I’ve been reading other writer’s blogs and I’ve been very impressed with the goals some of them are setting. Maybe setting goals would make my writing a little less scattered.

This week the goal is to avoid the games and become a more productive writer. This is the last week of the PAD challenge, and along with my daily poems I would also like to get serious about editing Driving Into Forever and maybe add a few words to one of my other works in progress.

I will be setting proper, weekly goals, but that’s going to have to wait a couple of weeks. I’m starting school May 4 and it will take me a week or two to adjust. It’s been a looonnngg time since I was last in school!

3 comments:

Jamie D. said...

Games really are terribly addictive, aren't they? I was up late one night last week finishing my blog serial installment because I *started* my online time with a facebook game. Really bad idea...

New rule is, no games until *after* my writing/blogging is done in the evening!

Sorry you had such a "grey" weekend...hopefully things (the weather, specifically) cheer up for you soon!

I enjoyed reading your book meme...even if I do like ebooks just as well as print. ;-)

C R Ward said...

Facebook games are really addictive, that's one of the reasons I discontinued my facebook page. I've been thinking lately of going back to it because I do like the way you can stay in touch with people, but I think I'd strip away most of the applications first.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like one of those weekends. Sometimes we have a few days like that, and dreary weather never helps.

And yes, games are evil timewasters :D

Sounds like you've set some good goals too!