Aug 10, 2009

Muggy Monday

The weather’s turned muggy on us, which means I’ve got the fan going in my office and the air conditioner everywhere else. It also means lots of rain and dismal weather. Yuck!

I bet right about now you’re wondering what excuse I’ll use for missing Friday’s post, aren’t you? Well, don’t hold your breath, you’re not getting one.

Friday I started working on a story I thought would be flash, but it ran long. I don’t like posting anything much over 1000 words and this one was just over twice that. I did look around at some of the flash prompts, but none of them appealed to me.

Mostly I worked on poetry over the weekend, which feels like a cop out because I can spend longer on a poem than a flash piece or even a story, even though it ends up being just a handful of lines.

I had snips and snatches of ideas, but nothing concrete enough to develop. And of course the day I got the urge to start developing them was Sunday, and anyone living in Southern Ontario can vouch for the fact that most of Sunday was a write-off computer-wise because of the thunder storms ripping through here. Good weather for writing poetry though.

RECAP

So, last week I again missed Creative Friday. No excuses, no apologies, and maybe just a little promise that I’ll try harder this week. I’m actually toying with the idea of starting a serial of my own (I read several on-line serials) and I even have the idea picked out for one, but I’ll need to plot it out first. Which means, if I go ahead with it, it probably won’t be this week. :-)

I didn’t quite manage to kick the gaming habit, but I did manage to reduce it by about 75%.

I did use an original poem to illustrate last week’s Passion for Poetry, and I wrote two haiku that are posted over on AW (poetry forum, “chain, chain, chain, haiku of fools” thread). I also worked on a poem that is being persistent, but elusive, AND I started workingonanothersestina. Yes, I know after the first one I swore I’d never do one again, but once you get the hang of them, the sestina isn’t that bad. I’m more than halfway finished this one and I really like the way it’s turning out.

The reward system for writing didn’t really pan out because as I said before, I can spend just as much time working on a poem as a story and have less to show for it, even though the work is just as hard (if not harder). So after working on a poem for an hour, I didn’t really feel justified in rewarding myself.

Goals For This Week:

Try working on a flash piece for Friday earlier in the week. Like as soon as I post this.

Think more about doing a serial and if I’m going that route, work on the outline.

Reduce the gaming habit further.

Finish the sestina in time to use it for this week’s Passion for Poetry. Work on elusive poem as well, and the new poem I started to jot down this morning.

Yeah, that’s pretty much it. Let’s see how I do with these goals before I start increasing them. :-)

2 comments:

Jamie D. said...

No apologies, no excuses...no problem. Sounds like you were still working a lot, even if we didn't get to see any of your work.

So I might be biased here, but allow me to chant:

Se-ri-al! Se-ri-al! Se-ri-al!

Good luck with your goals...they sound very reasonable. :-)

C R Ward said...

Thanks Jamie, you're always so supportive!

Yeah, I kinda thought you'd be all over the serial idea. :-)