Oct 12, 2009

Melancholy Monday

I’m sitting here in my office with my lap top, looking out the window at the birch tree outside whose leaves are more gold than green now as a prelude to falling. The day is overcast (again!) and I’m paying more attention to the Celtic mix CD playing than I am to what I’m typing. In the background I can hear Panda howling as she drags one of the husband’s black socks around the house like it’s her kitten.

This is one of those blah days where all I want to do is just curl up in a chair and do nothing, but I already spent part of yesterday doing that and it’s not as satisfying as you’d think it would be. Besides, I have too much to do today. Not only is it Thanksgiving, it’s the daughter’s birthday as well. So let’s get down to brass tacks. :-)

RECAP

Last week’s goals were to seriously start working on those extra poems to post during NaNo, catch up on my journaling, do the writing prompts at least 4 times, read a book, get chapters 9 and 10 done of my serial.

Have I mentioned before that my productivity seems to tank when I’m on afternoon classes? :-)

Deleted one of the poetry forms I had for November, added two more, and wrote two poems. The one poetry form I’d picked was an acrostic form that was so simple it felt like cheating, so I replaced it with something a little more complicated. Yes, that’s right, I’m a glutton for punishment.

Did no journaling, although I did think about journaling once or twice. Lost Wanderer made an interesting post about writing journals and I was thinking maybe this year I might keep a journal specifically for NaNo.

Did no writing prompts.

Didn’t finish reading a book, but I have two on the go.

Got Chapter 9 done on Monday, believe it or not, and I’m almost finished chapter 10.

Goals For This Week:

I’m back on morning classes so I have no more excuses for any lack of productivity except lack of focus and sheer laziness. Yes, I freely admit it. I am lazy.

Pick the last poetry form for November and finish the poems for that month. This week’s poetry form will be . . . The Luc Bat.

Give journaling another shot. Yeah, I know I’ll have to do one big, catch-up post, but after that I shouldn’t have a problem - if I update on a daily basis.

Writing prompts . . . they’re not really a priority with me at the moment because of the extra writing I’m trying to do in preparation for NaNo, but I’d like to give them another shot as well. I was thinking that for the month of November I’d combine the writing prompt blog with my journaling and keep a NaNo journal online - just a daily account of how it’s going.

Finish chapter 10 and aim for the next two of my serial. I wrote chapter 9 in one evening and chapter 10 is nearly finished, so I really don’t have any excuses not to get two more done this week.

I’m back on morning classes this week so that should help with my productivity. How’s your week shaping up?

3 comments:

Jamie D. said...

Wow, Carol - look at you go! Great job for a "lazy" week...I bet you'll do even better this week. Kudos, and good luck! :-)

C R Ward said...

Thanks, Jamie. Good luck to you too!

Benjamin Solah said...

You've reminded me of writing prompts. I love doing them in October to just practice winging it and producing words on demand for NaNoWriMo...

I might do one tonight.