May 16, 2011

Minify Monday

minify ~ to diminish, in appearance or reality

I gotta tell you, the reading of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayam that I went to last week was absolutely fabulous! David Calderisi was amazing. He started with a history of Omar Khayam and his life, and then explained how Edward FitzGerald came to translate his poetry. Then David didn’t just recite the verses, he became Omar Khayam and shared the verses. If you live in the Toronto area, you can catch David’s performance at Beit Zatoun. Check out the details HERE.

As last week progressed, I didn’t feel like I got much accomplished. But looking back I’m pretty happy with the way things went. I got all of my posts done, including the first chapter of a new serial and the first in my grammar series on my other blog. And I also (drum roll please) got some editing done on An Elemental Wind. It’s not as heinous as I thought it would be, but it is time consuming. I’m adding a lot of stuff to it.

I also managed to get quite a bit of reading in. I have 233 books on George right now and I couldn’t tell you how many I’ve read ‘cause I haven’t been keeping track. I also read a book my daughter lent me called the Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton, which was really, really, long, but a good read. The kid is not impressed with my reading choices, so every once in a while she slips me a “good” book.

This Week’s Schedule:

Tuesday: This week’s wonder of the ancient world is the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus.

Wednesday: This week's hunk has a little something for everyone ;-)

Thursday: The poetry form of the week is the Trijan Refrain.

Friday: Chapter 24 of Fire. Looks like Pyre wants some answers. The question is, is Rayne ready to give them?

Elsewhere in my week:

It’s the third Monday of the month and you know what that means, a meeting of the Northumberland Scribes tonight. Apparently there’s going to be a photographer present to take our pictures for the local paper and wouldn’t you know, I’ve got a big zit on my chin. Doesn’t that just figure? And I can’t remember what the prompt was either. Guess I’m 0 for 2 already. :-)

And this week is also the third Thursday, which means there’s a poetry reading at our favourite local coffee shop.

I’ll be continuing with the edits for An Elemental Wind, and I get to start the edits on a real book for a real writer this week. ;-)

On Random Writings check for a new instalment of Shades of Errol Flynn on Wednesday. I’ll warn you right now, it’s going to be very different from the prologue. And on Saturday, check out my post on Commas.

I didn’t get the new pictures taken for my website last week, so that’s on this week’s list as well.

And that’s what I’ll be up to this week. What about you?

No comments: