Aug 29, 2014

What I'm Reading




Walmart is the devil.

I'm pretty sure I've spoken before about the Silhouette Shadows series which is now the Nocturne series through Harlequin. Walmart sells the Nocturnes as 2 in 1s (2 books in 1 volume), and you can buy them 3 for $15, saving yourself almost $8. I bought three, brought them home and stashed them in my office where I discovered the last three I bought. So now I have TWELVE Nocturnes to read. And no time to read them in.

And that's not all. Last week I found myself in the mall with some time on my hands, and pretty much the only store left that had any interest for me (our mall is dying a slow death) was Coles, the book store. And oh, I have a points card with that particular franchise, so I was able to pick up a copy of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane for $5.00 off. :-D

Electronic Books

No electronic reading to speak of, but I did download a few more free ones offered by Amazon through Pixel of Ink. You'd think I was gearing up for a long winter or something! ;-)

Tree Books

No progress to report on Hunting the Corrigan's Blood by Holly Lisle. Don't even ask. ;-)

There was, however, some progress made on Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen. I'm almost halfway through it, right at the part where the circus acquires the elephant and I don't want to keep going because if it keeps to the movie story line the elephant is about to get abused and I don't want to read that.

And, as I said, I picked up a copy of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It just happened to be in my purse (lord love a large purse!) last night when I had to wait for a take-out order, so I started reading it. So far I find it a little sad - this young boy has a birthday party to which no one comes, but he's all right by this because he gets a new book and a kitten. But then the kitten is run over by a man who later kills himself (not because of the kitten, he has no clue what a terrible thing he's done in that respect). The boy has just met the Hempstocks, who live at the end of the lane and whom I'm sure are going to be a major influence on his story.

Re-Reads

I actually did start re-reading another anthology. This one is in paperback and is so well-worn it's literally falling apart. Swords Against Darkness IV, edited by Andrew J. Offutt. As you might have guessed from the title, this is a book of Swords and Sorcery tales. But what you probably don't know is that it was by invitation only and contains some of the masters of the Heroic Fantasy genre.

And that's about it for the reading. Still busy, still having a hard time finding time to read. Especially when I have friends who give me games to play instead, especially my all-time favourite, Hidden Objects games. Not that I'm naming names or anything (Debby!)

So here's to a less busy week next week with more time for gaming reading. :-D

No comments: