May 7, 2018

Mathesis Monday

mathesis ~ mental discipline; learning or wisdom

If I’ve learned anything in this past couple of weeks it’s how much we take life for granted and how quickly things can change.

It started with a touchy stomach, and then abdominal cramps. A week ago last Thursday I took my husband to the emergency room of our local hospital and he just came home yesterday, minus two lesions in his colon and several feet of bowel.

The wait in the hospital (four days) before surgery was hard. Harder on my husband, of course, who had a tube going through his nose and down his throat into his stomach, but hard on family and friends as well.

The wait during the surgery (seven hours) was even harder.

When something like this happens it’s a bit of a shock. We seldom contemplate our own mortality until it’s staring us in the face.

We were lucky. The surgery was a success and though we won’t get any definitive results until we see the doctor for a follow up on Friday, the prognosis is good. But it could have just as easily gone a different way.

I should know, it was right around this time many years ago that my father died of exactly the same thing.

I guess this is a bit of a cautionary tale. Don’t take your life, or the people in it, for granted. You never know what the future may bring.

No comments: