Mar 30, 2020

Monophylletic Monday

monophylletic ~ descended from a common evolutionary ancestor or ancestral group

Just so you know, I’m not enjoying the forced social isolation as much as I thought I would. As a matter of fact, I’m finding it’s a lot like the books we had to read for English class in high school. It’s great when you do it of your own free will, but another thing altogether when you’re forced to.

I can’t say that I’ve been making good use of all this extra time on my hands. Mostly I’ve been reading or playing solitaire on the computer. For variety I’ll do a hidden objects game or on-line jigsaw puzzle. It’s hard to generate motivation when the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Sometimes I muster a little energy to do something constructive though. I’ve been plugging away at my appliqué piece for the Stitchery Guild, but the light’s not so great in the living room/dining room area and I can only work on it when it’s sunny out, which it hasn’t been much lately. But I did finally finish the sweater for the grandbaby.

I had so many problems with it I started calling it ‘the cursed sweater.’ First the darker turquoise I’d chosen for the yoke wasn’t the right weight of yarn, a fact I didn’t realize until it was finished with the ends tucked in.

With a lot of patience and good light (and a great deal of cursing) I was able to unravel the yoke which included the button bands and collar. And I ended up with two extra stitches on my knitting needs. Oh, well. Better two too many than two too few.

Then I had to figure out where the middle of the sweater was again. Not an easy task when you’re working on circular needles. But I figured it out and the new yoke went on fairly quickly. Then I finished it and . . . overlapped the button bands the wrong way and sewed them in place with the button holes on the inside.

*sigh*

And of course I didn’t figure that out until I’d tied up the loose ends and skillfully woven them into the sweater. OMG! I sweated over getting that piece apart again, I tell you what! It taxed my patience but I got apart and sewed it back up, and sewed on the bunny buttons because the grandbaby loves bunnies, and here she is, modeling the finished sweater:



Isn’t she adorable?

And totally worth everything I went through for that sweater.