May 28, 2014

And So It Continues . . .

Last week I rearranged some of the furniture in my office so that I could move the cabinet I wanted my new printer to sit on. If you missed the post, you can find it HERE.

I guess the hubby decided if I'd go to all the trouble of clearing out the closet, I must be serious about the whole reading nook thing. So Saturday he spent the day putting up the strapping for the shelves, which is not as simple as it sounds. Each piece had to be cut individually because the walls in the closet are not square. They're not out by a lot, just enough to make it a pain in the butt.

But first things first. First there were still a few items in the closet to get rid of:



That's Julius in the plastic box on the desk, just in case you were wondering. :-) But sorry cats, everything had to go, shelves, desk, even that weird wooden trim.

Next up, the end pieces for the shelves and the strapping to hold the shelves up. If I was a more persnickety sort of person, I probably would have stripped the groady wall paper off before the hubby put the strapping up, but A) the walls were going to be painted and hidden behind books, and B) the paper appeared to have taken root in the walls - it would have taken forever to strip it off.



The following day it was my turn to play in the closet; namely, painting:



Okay, in this next picture it looks much shinier than it is because the paint's still wet:



You may be wondering about my colour choice. Actually, some people have questioned my sanity regarding my colour choice. My desk is black, my filing cabinets are black - heck, even my printer and computer are black. Plus, don't forget that most of that space will be covered in books and a padded seat. AND this is going to be my Science Fiction Space, and I fully intend to stick glow in the dark stars on the ceiling in there. :-)

And this is pretty much what it looked like when I was finished (please excuse the smudges on the camera lens):



The cats have been boycotting my office so far. Part of it is because of the paint smell, I'm sure, but the other part is because they're miffed at me for getting rid of "their" desk and bin. But I'll make it up to them. Not only will I be willing to share the seat in my nook, I spent yesterday under my desk rearranging the cords and plugs from my two heavy duty power bars. With the cords out of the way there's room for cat bed under the desk - the ultimate cave for one of them.

Hopefully by next week I'll have some shelves up in there, if not shelves with books on them. Stay tuned!

No comments: