Mar 16, 2015

Madescent Monday

madescent ~ growing damp

Did everyone survive Friday the 13th all right? Normally I don't mind Friday the 13th, they're usually lucky for me. But the one we had last month was most definitely not. This one was kind of a mixed bag of good and bad. Dare I hope the last one of the year will be better? Guess we'll have to wait until November to find out. :-)

Remember that picture of my back yard I posted a couple of weeks ago? You can refresh your memory HERE.

Here's what it looks like after a week of slightly above zero temperatures and a weekend of light rain:



Although the snow on the deck is greatly reduced, the snow on the yard is taking its time. That's probably a good thing since a slow melt reduces the chance of our basement flooding, but it's still hard not to be impatient. I'm so done with winter!

It took staying up until 2:30 a.m. Friday night, and a marathon word sprint of almost 2500 words for the day, but I am finished the first draft of Guardian of the Sea (which started out as my NaNo novel this year). Now the real work of polishing it can begin. You know, right after I finish with Lucky Dog and An Elemental Earth. ;-)

So Saturday I was feeling a bit of the empty nest syndrome (kind of). I'd gotten so used to having Guardian hanging over my head that it was downright weird to not have to add new words to it. I wasn't sure what to do with myself.

So I sat in my office and stared out at the rain . . . Then I updated my Goodreads for the year, which wasn't too bad because I haven't been reading much lately, so I only had 9 books to update.

Then I took a look at my writing journal blog and was appalled at how long it's been since I made an entry there. So I updated the status bars and did a new post. If you're getting this blog post in an email you probably don't have access to the tabs at the top of the page, but you can check out the blog HERE.

Last weekend I bought myself a book that I was saving to reward myself with when I finished Guardian. However, it's such a great carrot that now I think I'm going to keep saving it until I get one of my three drafts polished. I'm afraid it might trigger a reading binge, and we can't have that now, can we? ;-)

I seem to be transitioning well to returning to my office to write, and hopefully I can keep up the good work this week. I confess it's much easier when the sun is shining, and this week looks like it's going to be a mix of sun and cloud. But there's no snow in the forecast, so I can take heart at that.

Maybe Spring is here after all! ;-)

No comments: