Nov 22, 2021

Three Sheets to the Wind



The bed is a bundle of paradoxes: we go to it with reluctance, yet we quit it with regret; we make up our minds every night to leave it early, but we make up our bodies every morning to keep it late.
— Ogden Nash

I have cotton or flannel sheets, depending on the weather. They have to be ironed, and I get my bed changed nearly every day.
— Martha Stewart

The housekeeper had been there that afternoon. I could always tell because the sheets on the bed would be tucked in so tight, trying to get them out was like wrestling an alligator.
— Tiffanie DeBartolo

How often do you change the sheets on your bed? Weekly? Every other week? Once a month? Twice a year?

With me it depends on the season. When we have a hot and humid summer (like we did this year) the sheets get changed more often than they would during a cold, dry winter.

Yesterday the hubby had to be up and out early for a bowling tournament, so I took advantage of the fact he was gone to get some re-organizing done upstairs. See, the problem is, I don’t get many opportunities to work upstairs during the morning because he sleeps really late. And by the time he does get up, any urge I have to do anything upstairs is gone.

So yesterday I started by changing the sheets on the bed, then washed and dried a couple of loads of bed linens. THEN I decided I wanted to reorganize the linen closet upstairs, and maybe make room for more of the blankets and pillows that were stored in the guest room, getting them out of the way of all the craft stuff I have in the bookcase in the guest room, but can’t get at as easily as I’d hoped because of all the aforementioned ‘stuff’ in the way.

I started by taking the sliding doors off the upstairs closet. See, the mirrored doors are meant for a much bigger closet and overlap so much you can only access about a foot, foot and a half of the closet. And that’s just at either side (one at a time). You can’t get to the middle part of the closet unless you take the doors off.

The center of the closet is mostly taken up by a chest of drawers, which I’d like to get rid of so I keep it empty. But there’s also space on top of it, and a couple of shelves above it, and a narrow shelf unit to the right which is where I store the extra sheets.

I pulled stuff out of the closet and pulled stuff off of the bookcase in the guest room, and immediately lost interest in finishing the job. LOL It was a heck of a lot of work, but I moved stuff around, rearranged the spaces, and even managed to clear a path to the craft supplies.

I made room for pillows and blankets in the linen closet, and was a little appalled at the number of sheets there were for two people. Time to thin things out. I kept six sets for the queen sized bed and five sets for the double sized bed, and have a nice pile to donate. Don’t judge.

Have you ever noticed that no matter how clean your sheets are, if they’ve been in a closet for a while they start smelling funky? I don’t remember where I learned this trick, but I put a set together in a plastic bag, and put a dryer sheet in the center of the set and it keeps them fresh smelling. But you have to remember to tuck the ends of bag underneath it, because if the bag is left open you get that funky smell.

And no one likes funky smelling sheets. :-)

No comments: