Aug 16, 2021

Grocery Shopping and Heat Waves

Life is like waiting in line at the grocery store. You wait, you slowly move forward, you pay the price, then you exit unsatisfied and broke.
— Erin McCarthy

You know what one of my pet peeves is? Grocery shopping.

I didn’t much like it before the pandemic, really didn’t like it during the pandemic, and still don’t enjoy it much now that things have opened up a bit more.

I mean think about it. You go to the store, put everything on your list into your cart, take it out of your cart to pay for it, bag it up to put back in your cart – and there always seems to be more after you’ve bagged it so you end up having to stack the bags or carry one – then load it into your car, drive home, take the bags into the house, then unbag everything to put it away.

There’s gotta be an easier way. And no, having groceries delivered isn’t the answer. I like specific brands, and I’m not about to trust someone else to pick out my produce.

And while we’re on the subject of produce . . . the yellow beans have pretty much run their course, I’m letting the few that are left ripen into seeds for next year (in other words, I’m tired of picking them) but the green beans are just getting started.

My neighbour was away for the weekend and I almost picked the ones on her side of the fence (the friend who was looking after things for her told me she wasn’t going to) but my basket was overflowing as it was. And I’ll probably have to go pick more today – I think I need a bigger basket.

Meanwhile, the bumper crop of green cherry/grape tomatoes is starting to ripen. Holy smokes that’s a lot of tomatoes! And meanwhile, the neighbour’s cucumbers have started to appear on my doorstep (she’s sneaky like that). I need to dig out my uncle’s recipe for icicle pickles, as I recall they’re made with full sized cucumbers (cut up) and not the small ones.



Oh! And I got some really nice looking kale from another neighbour that I’m going to try making kale chips out of. Have I mentioned what a friendly neighbourhood we live in? Quiet too, for the most part.

I think the weather has a lot to do with the abundance in our gardens. First we had a lot of rain, then we had a lot of heat – gardens like that sort of thing even if we don’t. Now it’s kind of a mixed bag of heat and rain.

Last week we had one day that was so humid that the windows fogged up on the outside. I used a squeegee on the deck door so I could see. Hey, at least the glass is clean now. LOL But we never got the major storms they kept promising. There were storms all around us, but we barely got anything.

It was so hot last week that even the daughter came swimming with the grandbaby and me. The only problem was the pool was so warm it wasn’t really refreshing.



I’m really hoping that the storms they’re predicting for this week don’t pan out either, especially the rain we’re supposed to get on Thursday. Thursday the Habitat For Humanity ReStore people are coming to pick up our old couch set and they want it sitting on the front porch. Then the Brick is bringing our new couch set and I’d really rather it not get rained on.

So cross your fingers that once again the weatherman is wrong. I know I will be.

No comments: