Aug 9, 2021

It’s Heating Up

It’s not enough to be busy, so are the ants. The question is: what are we busy about?
—Henry David Thoreau

I think summer is finally here. We may not be suffering from the extreme heat they’re still getting out west, but they’re not getting our humidity. The humidex means that when our temperature is 29 C (84 F), with the humidity it actually feels like 39 C (102 F).

Had a busy week (well, busy-er than we normally get) last week. Tuesday I spent the day getting some salads done for my sister’s visit, and I made her a scripture bread. Then Wednesday she came to visit with her oldest and youngest grandkids.

Thursday I had my annual mammogram, always a fun time (not!). I think the technician thought I was kidding when I told her she wasn’t allowed to find anything. One cancer is enough, thankyouverymuch.

Friday we had a nice, long visit with the grandbaby, a large portion of which was spent in the pool. A lot of this had to do with us surprising her with a floating unicorn. Previously she had a shark that was big enough to ride on, but the first time in the pool this year the seam on the bottom let go. The unicorn is actually a little bigger, and a lot more stable for riding.

Saturday the daughter and I went to Peterborough to the giant craft store Michael’s, who didn’t have the one thing I went all that way for. There had been some kind of accident on the highway we take to Peterborough, and we had a rather long, but thoroughly enjoyable (unmarked) detour through some woods and farmland, ending up at the Peterborough Airport. On the way home we chose the opposite side of the highway, which was also pretty scenic. I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed just driving in the countryside with no real idea of where I’m going.

The thing I was looking for at Michael’s was one of those large, magnifying glass things with a light for doing craft work. My stitchery group has been trying to meet once in awhile in the park, and it was pointed out that I’ve yet to make my name tag. It can be done on anything, as long as it’s hand stitched, but most of them have been done using cross stitch on aida cloth.

I’ve always found cross stitch hard on the eyes, so naturally I decided to design my name tag using red beadwork on black aida cloth. It’s going to look really sharp . . . if I can see well enough to do it. Hopefully I can find my magnifying thingie online. At the very least I’ll need bright light and my glasses.

But just in case, among other things I got at Michaels’s was some white aida cloth which I can see just fine. I suppose coloured beads on the white would look all right too, just not as sharp as the red on black.

We also went to Fabricland where I finally got the lining material for the stitchery bag I made. It’s going to be awesome too . . . if I can figure out how I’m going to put it together. I’d kind of like it to have a zippered compartment (yes, I remembered to buy a zipper) in the center, with open compartments on each side. Of course first I’ll have to clean off the dining room table before I can play around with it. LOL

But in any case, looks like I’ve got lots to do to keep me out of trouble this week.

And now, because my phone won’t let me transfer the picture of the grandbaby on her unicorn, here’s a picture of our resident pond frog.


No comments: