Aug 5, 2010

Dodoitsu

The Dodoitsu is a form of Japanese poetry developed towards the end of the Edo Period. The subject of the Dodoitsu is usually work or love and they’re often written with a touch of humour.

The name literally means "quickly, city to city" probably so named for its rapid rise in popularity in the 1600s which was the beginning of Japan's "Modern Period". Like most Japanese poetry, the dodoitsu draws the emotion from the image.

It is syllabic, written in 26 onji (sound syllables), normally 4 lines of 7-7-7-5 syllables respectively. There is no rhyme or metre to the Dodoitsu.

Usually when I have such a short form I like to write more than one example. However, the Muse was not cooperating. I kept coming up with 6 syllable lines or 8 syllable lines – 7 did not seem to be my lucky number. However, I did manage to get one written, and I’ve supplemented it with two splendid examples I found on the web.


Stormwatch
Storm clouds swiftly gathering
Lightning strikes and splits the sky
Sharp echoes fill me up with
Anticipation

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I gaze at crystal water
and bright, mother-of-pearl gleam.
Stepping nearer, I skate on
unseen, green algae.
By Linda Visman

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Starlit Dreams
Memories stoked by twilight
have power to warm a chilled heart.
Dreams long buried, forgotten,
still breathe 'neath the stars.
By Susan Sonnen

2 comments:

AurtherX said...

Beautiful poems, I wish I was that creative.

Anonymous said...

Seeing Mother's Ghost

While walking in a graveyard
Smelling the nice red roses
Seeing my mother's sad ghost
A nice view, she says


Love Dodoistu

Love came to me in a dream
Eight years, she haunted my dreams
One day, she walked off a bus
And became my wife