Aug 23, 2010

Maskirovka Monday

maskirovka ~ use of deception or camouflage as military stratagem

Last week was a very strange week. The lunch my friend and I had in Brighton on Monday turned into a whole day affair as we ended up at Presqu’ile Park. Despite the fact I grew up in this area, I’d never been to Presqu’ile so it was a nice little adventure. We saw the lighthouse and one of the beaches (there’s four I believe) and then went on the Marsh Boardwalk where we saw no marsh creatures but I did receive one hell of a sunburn on my shoulders. If you’re one of my Facebook friends, I have a photo album of a few of the pictures I took, and if you’re not a friend, then why not? Friend me already!

If you visit my Random Writings blog on a regular basis, you may have already noticed that I solved the problem of what I’m going to do with it – at least for the near future. I’m participating in the 30 Days of Writing Questions meme, where you answer a question a day for 30 days and post your answers on your blog. The beauty of it is that you can start any time – if you’d like to participate, I have a list of the questions HERE.

I’m pleased to say that my poetry reading went very well on Thursday night. I did not hyperventilate until I passed out, and people neither heckled me nor threw things at me. I received a lot of compliments afterwards and one person even asked if I had a book to sell (I’m working on it!).

I got to chapter 16 (about page 110), breaking my WIP into chapters and suddenly discovered a gap in the action. I wrote this during Nano, remember, and you just don’t stop when you’re stuck during Nano, so I left myself a note as to what I wanted to have happen and moved on. *sigh* So far I’ve added another couple of thousand words to it.

I also managed to read one whole book last week, the first in the Sookie Stackhouse series. The HBO series, True Blood, takes a lot of liberties with the story but of course the book is always better. :-)

This Week’s Goals:

Tuesday: Part XV of my fairy tale series will be about Puss in Boots. If anyone has a favourite fairy tale they’d like me to investigate, drop me a line at carolrward(at)gmail(dot)com and I’ll see what I can dig up.

Wednesday: A new hunk for your viewing pleasure.

Thursday: This week’s Passion for Poetry is the Naani, which is a Telugu poetry form.

Friday: Chapter 52 of the Space Opera. What did Nigel do to Nakeisha? And what happened to Nigel?

Elsewhere in my week:

Tomorrow night I have a poetry meeting. I was so busy preparing for my reading I forgot all about my “poemwork”, so I’ll have to see if I’m inspired before the meeting or not. Otherwise, I’ll just take a couple of the new forms I’ve been working on lately to read to the group.

On Random Writings I’ll be continuing with the 30 Days of Writing Questions and I urge you all to give it a go. Not only is it fun to do, it’s fun to learn about each other’s writing processes as well.

I didn’t do so hot with the internet avoidance to become more a more productive writer last week, but I blame at least a little of that on my nerves regarding the poetry reading. But that’s all behind me now and this is a new week. So we’re going to give the whole, ‘limit on the internet, no games’ thing another try.

And that’s what I’ve got on the go, more or less, for the week. How about you? Getting lots done these days or has summer seduced you into slacking off?

No comments: