Aug 26, 2010

Naani

Naani

Teluga poetry of southeast India dates back to 10th century and is referred to as Sanskrit meters of "naked poetry". Naani is one of India's most popular Telugu poems and was introduced by Dr. N. Gopi, of the Telugu University, Andhra, Pradesh.

The name means “an expression of one and all”. It consists of four lines, with a total of 20 to 25 syllables. The Naani has no rhyme scheme and there is no set length to each line, nor is the poem is not bound to a particular subject.





I look up into
the blue summer sky
filled with floating thoughts
in the shape of white clouds


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


While others look beneath
for hidden meanings
I skim the surface
seeking the truth.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


I drink from a cup of words
slaking my thirst
until I’m down to the dregs.
Time to lift my pen.

No comments: